[vtkusers] Help needed

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jun 23 00:00:05 EDT 2001

hi,

    LR> I start out with an initial height field (a mesh which can be
    LR> rendered) over a surface and I get the output of the fluid
    LR> dynamics step as a new height field. The condition is to
    LR> render only the portion of the fluid above the original
    LR> surface. But this results in a bunch of points in space with
    LR> no connectivity. I need to connect them and make smooth
    LR> surfaces out of these, so that it appears as fluid
    LR> flowing. Could you tell me or lead me to some links as to how
    LR> to make surfaces out of these ? I appreciate your time in
    LR> reading through this mail. Any help will be greatly
    LR> appreciated.

I am not sure if this will help at all but from a quick read on the
net it seems that the Kass and Miller model treats the fluid as a
bunch of tubes under the surface.  Now if the tubes represent the mesh
points then cannot the new mesh surface defined by using the old mesh
plus a vector field that is representative of the velocity of the
fluid.  If this be the case then you can use the vtkWarpVector class
to warp the original mesh as per the velocity vector field and then
display the new surface.  This most probably wont work for splashing
though.

prabhu