[vtkusers] Problems with vtkBMPReader

Ermin Hasicevic ermin at iskon.hr
Tue Jun 19 06:34:28 EDT 2001

Hi!

The platform I work on is Borland's C++ Builder 5.0 installed on
W2000k Proffesional(patched with SP1). VTKDLL.dll & VTKDLL.lib ,
that I use in my BCP projects, was generated by use of John Biddiscombe's bvtkCxxWizard(some of the classes were excluded
from VTK library, but I believe that they weren't essential ones).

My problem is following. I created a simple pipeline which includes:

-vtkBMPReader,
-vtkImageGradientMagnitude,
-vtkBMPWriter.

Then, I provide file name to BMP which I obtained from Open File Dialog.
When I try to execute Update method(I believe it should be executed),
VTK's debug window is opened. The message goes something like this:

Generic Warning: vtkBMPReader.cxx, line 477
File operation failed. row=0, Read=128, Skip0=0, Skip1=0, FilePos= -1.

If I skip executing Update method on bmp reader, and I execute, as last,
bmp writer's Write method I also get some message about some
obsolete methods(?) and latter warning as well.

I also tried to read set of images with BMPReader in volume. I set the
data extent to, e.g. (0, 127, 0, 127, 2, 10), file pattern to "%s_%02d.bmp", and file prefix as well(extracted as substring from first .bmp file in Open Dialog's list). Then I execute Update method, but it all went wrong. It set the InternalFileName to something like "image_00.bmp". I believe it should set InternalFileName(is it  to "image_02.bmp"(executing
ComputeInternalFileName(2) proves it).

Now I would like to ask you guys, from this mailing list, to give some
hint for solution on this puzzling problem. If anyone has any working
example coded in C++ which uses vtkBMPReader and, if possible,
runs on the same or similar platform to mine, I would like him to
send me code(or its excerpt, whatever)zipped on my e-mail.
And at last, could someone tell me what should I set in my IDE
to be able to step into some of the vtkXXX classes' method during
debugin session.

Thank in advance.

Ermin