[vtkusers] vtkInteractor to only rotate on one axis?

Phlip pplumlee at omnigon.com
Mon Jun 18 18:08:16 EDT 2001

VTK Users:

Using VTK 3.2 via Python on Linux.

I want a window that visualizes a 3d shape and just rotates it around a
vertical axis.

I'd like to let it rotate automatically without user interaction.

Approaching this, I'd settle for the user clicks on it and
vtkRenderWindowIterator spins it around.

However, this Interactor wobbles the viewed item around any axis.

So I Google for this problem, and learn that vtkInteractorStyleUser has
been invented to let one customize the viewer interactions.

So I start the sample program CustomInteraction.py. And it does not seem
to do anything. My "Middle" button is emulated, so I change the source to
use the left button:

   style.SetLeftButtonPressMethod(StartPushPlane)
   style.SetLeftButtonReleaseMethod(EndPushPlane)
   style.SetUserInteractionMethod(PushPlane)

This still does not do anything.

The inner question: Where's a better sample for vtkInteractorStyleUser?

The outer question: How do I just rotate around Y on a timer without any
mousing at all?

  Phlip                          phlip_cpp at my-deja.com