[vtkusers] vtkdll.lib not produced with nmake on WNT4.0/VC++6.0

Herbert Muthsam herbert_muthsam at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 19 10:08:11 EDT 2001

Hi,

my problem in running any vtk example seems to boil
down to the fact that I do not manage to produce a
vtkdll.lib file with nmake (I get, however, a
vtkdll.dll file). Below I describe closer
circumstances and would be grateful for comments.

Herbert J. Muthsam, University of Vienna

Athlon, 768 MB memory, 2*512MB swap space (on 2drives)
  no significant other process executing
Windows Nt 4.0, sp6, VisualC++ 6.0 compiler

PATH has been enhanced manually so as to include

C:\..\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\Lib (for opengl and
                                        glaux.lib
files
C:\..        ..              \VC98\Bin (for Cl.exe)
C:\          ..              \Common\MSDev98\Bin

When running nmake it looks like this:

C:\..\vtk32 nmake
  cd vtkdll
  nmake OBJS

  nmake LIBRARIES

  link.exe @C:\TEMP\nma00338.

C:\...\Microsoft Visual Studio\VC98\lib\gdi32.lib
fatal
  error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full. cannot
seek
  0x35012a68
  [ACTUALLY DISK C has 5GB FREE; HOWEVER, I DO NOT SEE
   a nma-FILE IN \TEMP]
  NMAKE: fatal error U1077. return code 0x2
Stop.

By the way, in the vtl\vtk32dll\obj directory there
are lots of .obj files.