[vtkusers] Problem with VTK build process on GNU/Linux Debian

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Wed Jul 11 07:39:05 EDT 2001

On Wed, Jul 11, 2001 at 03:55:28AM -0700, Francois Rameau wrote:
> Buit to no avail. I always get the some error. My user.make file is
> the following:

AFAIK, your specification of the _LIB should not contain the -l parameter,
but rather be full path specifications.  My user.make (I have tcl/tk 8.2
installed, your setup may differ):

TCL_INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/tcl8.2/generic
TCL_LIB=/usr/lib/libtcl8.2.so

TK_INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/tk8.2/generic
TK_LIB=/usr/lib/libtk8.2.so

MESA_INCLUDE=-I/usr/include/GL
MESA_LIB=/usr/lib/libGL.so

# for python you must set this
PYTHON_INCLUDES=-I/usr/include/python

# Add additional CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS for compilation
# uncomment the following two lines to set your own flags
USER_CFLAGS = -O3 -g
USER_CXXFLAGS = -O3 -g

---

And then I configure with:
./configure  --prefix=/home/cpbotha/build/vtk --with-opengl --with-shared\
--with-tcl --with-python --with-tkwidget --with-contrib --with-patented

> When compiling everything goes smoothly until:
> make[1]: *** [targets.make] Segmentation fault
> make[1]: *** Deleting file `targets.make'

Hmmm, segfault during the build process?  This normally points to something
seriously wrong with your configuration (hardware and/or software).  Can you
successfully compile a kernel?  Have you successfully built other large C++
projects?

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/