[vtkusers] Changes to active components

Berk Geveci berk.geveci at kitware.com
Thu Jul 5 09:56:42 EDT 2001

VTK users and developers,

I have been changing VTK by replacing vtkAttributeData and it's
sub-classes
with vtkDataArray and it's sub-classes
( http://public.kitware.com/pipermail/vtkusers/2001-April/006178.html ).
Eventually vtkAttributeData and sub-classes will be deprecated.
As part of this effort, I am moving the functionality that exist in the
attributes to other classes. One of these is the active component in
vtkScalars. I believe that the active component introduces complexity
not justified by it's advantages. Furthermore, there are filters which
do not support it, making things even more confusing. Therefore, I am
not going to keep the active scalars. I am changing the filters to work
on the first component of the scalars. It will be necessary to use
vtkFieldDataToAttributeDataFilter or a similar filter (I am planning to
write one with a simpler interface designed to extract components) in
order
to process anything but the first component in the scalars. These
changes
will effect the cvs tree, nightlies and VTK 4.0 (I already changed some
of the filters and so far nothing broke).

--
Berk Geveci, Ph.D.
Kitware, Inc.
berk.geveci at kitware.com