[vtkusers] Getting pixel values

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.ca
Mon Jul 2 19:02:41 EDT 2001

On Mon, 2 Jul 2001, Julian wrote:

> Is there anybody on this list who hasn't written a slice viewer???  Perhaps
> somebody (of course, not me!) should start a GNU type slice viewer project
> over at SourceForge.  (Note, I am as guilty of as everybody else of
> rolling my own)

For pythonists,

vtk/python/vtkSliceViewerWidget.py
vtk/contrib/examplesPython/SliceViewer.py
vtk/contrib/examplesPython/TextureReslice.py
http://www.atamai.com/

The problem that different people have different favorite application
development languages.  There is no way, for instance, that I would
be part of an MFC-based viewer project because I don't write MFC
applications (thank heavens!)

Perhaps it would be a better idea to add pieces to the imaging pipeline
that make it easier for people to develop their own image viewing
applications, regardless of what application language or GUI toolkit
they use:

1) a nice image filter for handling pan/zoom/slice operations
   (i.e. like vtkImageReslice but with an interface that is better
   suited to these operations, possibly implemented via vtkImageReslice)

2) tools for converting between display coordinates,
   data coordinates, and voxel indices (to simplify mouse interaction
   with image)

3) tools to probe image values (there was some talk about this
   recently, vtkImplicitVolume is one possibility but can't handle
   multi-component images or different interpolation modes)

I'm currently working on a vtkImageStencilFilter to allow segmentation
of an image using an existing vtkImplicitFunction or closed
vtkPolyData surface (hopefully it will be committed this week).
The above three items are ones that I'm unlikely to touch,
because for me they are 'fait accompli' but implemented in python
rather than C++.

 - David