[vtkusers] Red Hat 7.0 + XFree86 4.0.2 = VTK (fwd)

Tom G. Smith (B75826) smitty at kcc.com
Wed Jan 31 07:46:27 EST 2001

Since I've upgraded to RedHat 7.0 and VTK 3.1.2, I've noticed a marked
deterioration in the quality of my renderings.  For example, instead
of smooth transitions from light to dark in shadows, I see more abrupt
and less realistic changes.

I still have vtk 2.4 on one of our SGI systems, and the comparison of
the same rendering on vtk 2.4 makes the one done with vtk 3.1.2 look
like a bad Andy Warhol painting.

I note, however, that my vtk 2.4 is compiled using OpenGL, and 3.1.2
is using Mesa.  Could that be the difference in rendering quality, or
should I seek to upgrade Xfree86 from 4.0.1 to 4.0.2?