[vtkusers] VTK Builds on Cygwin

Mumit Khan khan at NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Sat Jan 27 12:40:58 EST 2001

On Sat, 27 Jan 2001, Sebastien BARRE wrote:

> The tkinter stuff from 1.5.2 is targeted at Tk 8.0, but 2.x is targeted at
> 8.3. Cygwin comes with 8.0.4. Have you tested tkinter support for 2.1 under
> Cygwin ? Most probably 2.x will be able to handle any version <= 8.3. I
> hope so.

I haven't tried it yet, but that's on my to-do list.

I'll respond to you regarding the cross-development stuff via private
email as this is rather off-topic here. For those interested, yes, you
can cross-compile from NT to Linux and to a whole variety of 32 bit
OSs (except for HPs, where binutils doesn't do cross; also 32 to 64
doesn't work for released versions of gcc). See:

http://www.nanotech.wisc.edu/~khan/software/gnu-win32/ and look for
item 10-11.

> >If someone wants to test binaries, I'll make those available via ftp.
>
> I will. I guess the -nocygwin version might be a little faster, am I right ?

I will upload the Cygwin DLLs this weekend, and Mingw (ie., win32 that
doesn't depend on any 3rd party libraries) sometime soon. I'll use VTK
CVS, but I can also use 3.2 if you'd prefer.

> >GCC 3.0 will
> >have a new x86 instruction scheduler that will narray, if not remove,
> >the performance gap.
>
> When is its release scheduled for ?

GNU project does not set a release date. http://gcc.gnu.org/ for more
info.