[vtkusers] VTK Builds on Cygwin

Mumit Khan khan at NanoTech.Wisc.EDU
Fri Jan 26 18:02:44 EST 2001

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Volpe, Christopher R (CRD) wrote:

> I grabbed Cygwin Beta-20 before they started charging money for it. Will it work with that version,
> or do I really need the latest version? (Just curious, I really have no reason to use the Cygwin
> compiler on Wintel anyway, I just like their bash shell.)

Just to avoid misinformation, Cygwin has always been available for free
(it's released under GPL, so the source must be available). Cygnus
solutions, now acquired by RedHat Inc., did release a "commercial"
Cygwin release 1.0, but was quickly superceded by the net releases,
now at 1.1.7.

For the changes, you need a reasonably new version, preferably 1.1.7.
You can install it right over the net, just check Cygwin home page:
http://www.cygwin.com/ or http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/

Regards,
Mumit