[vtkusers] Installation on SunOS 5.7 Ultra 2 Creator 3D System

Dave Reed dreed at capital.edu
Thu Jan 25 15:14:32 EST 2001

> From: "Keator, David" <dbkeator at msx.hsis.uci.edu>
> Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 12:02:08 -0800
>
> Hi,
>
> I'm having problems getting the graphics libraries to compile upon
> installation on this particular SUN box.
> When g++ tries to compile vtkXRenderWindowInteractor.cxx for instance it
> gives a whole series of X11 errors such as:
>
> /usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h:701: ANSI C++ forbids declaration
> 'XSetWMHints' with no type
> /usr/openwin/share/include/X11/Xutil.h:770: ANSI C++ forbids declaration
> 'XSetRegion' with no type
> etc...
>
> Anyone have an experience with this same prob?
>
> Thanks alot,
>
> David Keator
> Programmer Analyst
> Brain Imaging Center
> University of California, Irvine
> (949) 824-7870

Warnings or errors?  I see these often when compiling X programs on a
Solaris box - but the're always warnings and the code still compiles.
There is some flag you can give to g++ so it doesn't generate these
warnings, but I can't remember it at the moment.

I've been told that Sun's header files are "broken" (i.e., it's Sun's
fault for not providing proper header files), but don't know this for
certain.

Dave