[vtkusers] Java and problematic thread

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Sat Jan 20 18:21:21 EST 2001

On Jan 20,  5:57pm, Darren Brust wrote:
> Subject: [vtkusers] Java and problematic thread
> I am trying to build the VTK using the java extensions and OpenGL.  I am
> using the JDK 1.3.  When I try to run a test program, I get the
> following error.
>
> ## An unexpected exception has been detected in native code outise the
> VM.# Program counter=0x4972664e
> #
> # Problematic Thread: prio=1 tid=0x804e320 nid=0x721e runnable
> #

Yes, I've seen this, and thrilled that someone else got bit too :)
 Unfortunately, I don't know what the solution is yet.  I've only seen it when
trying to use Stanford's WireGL pkg along with Java-wrapped VTK.  I've been
suspicious that it's related to multi-threaded-Linux-VTK (pretty broad, I
know).  For me, it craps out in the OpenGLRenderWindow class.  So, I'm curious
to hear more about the particulars of your situation.  Are you trying to do
multi-threading that you're aware of?

I got my JDK from Sun - how 'bout you?  Also, there is mention of this
"Problematic Thread" issue in the Java bug parade:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4343002.html

I'd love to see this get resolved.  Try running gdb to get some more insight
into your situation.

I'm running:
$ uname -a       --> Linux 2.2.16-3
$ gcc --version  --> egcs-2.91.66