[vtkusers] streamlines from arbitrary points

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Mon Jan 15 02:05:30 EST 2001

hi,

    Lawrence> I have a 3d vector field on a structured grid and I have
    Lawrence> a list of select points from which I want to start
    Lawrence> streamlines.

For your particular problem I think Berk's solution is perfect but in
a more general situation for streamline visualization I think I have
something that might interest you. :)

\begin{shameless plug}

  There is this tool called VTK-CFD that is available for free (under
  the GPL).  It is a GUI based tool and has a module that lets you
  visualize streamlines/tubes and stream ribbons (apart from other
  stuff).  You can add any number of point sources and move them
  around, configure them etc. - all via a GUI.  Once you are done you
  can even save the settings of your streamline sources and reload
  them to get back where you stopped.  The streamline visualization
  should work for any 3D VTK dataset and also for structured single
  block plot3d data.  It is available from here:

	       http://freshmeat.net/projects/vtk-cfd/

  The tool uses VTK, Python and Tkinter and comes with a pipeline
  browser.  The currently available version is 0.5.  I will upload a
  newer version (0.6) with some bug fixes sometime today.  I will
  announce this on the vtkusers list too.  So in case you think it
  might be useful - please check it out.

\end{shameless plug}

prabhu