[vtkusers] vtkNightlyPython.exe : suggestions.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Sat Jan 13 14:44:29 EST 2001

hi,

Recently, I happened to install the vtkNightlies for the first time on
Windows machines.  I installed the vtkNightlyCore and vtkNightlyPython
packages.  Overall everything was fine.  There are a few things that
need fixing.

The Core library installed flawlessly.  However, the Python lib had
the following problems:

   (1) There was no approriate vtkpython.pth that was generated to
   setup the sys.path.

   (2) Since the vtkTkRenderWidget.dll was not copied to an
   appropriate system dir the vtkTkRenderWidget did not work 'out of
   the box'.

The solution is simple.  David Gobbi has added an install.py script to
the source tree.  Unfortunately, this script is not included in the
vtkNightlyPython.exe.  This script is supposed to setup everything
properly.  It would be nice if this script were included and run
during the installation.  I also noticed that on the machine I
installed, there was no environment variable called SYSTEMROOT.  This
caused the install.py script to fail.  I kludged a fix by doing SET
SYSTEMROOT=C:\WINDOWS\.

I am a complete newbie to Windows so I dont know enough to fix these
bugs, but am sure they are simple to fix.  It would be wonderful if
these were ironed out.

Apart from the above mentioned bugs everything installed perfectly.
Nice job!!

thanks,
prabhu

--
Hanlon's Razor:
        Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained