[vtkusers] vtkTransform::GetOrientation()

Michael Halle halazar at media.mit.edu
Thu Feb 22 04:14:17 EST 2001

George,

This isn't a vtk issue.  That's just the way 3D rotations work.  You
decomposed your matrix into three rotation matrices, but order is
important.  The reason is that in general, sequential rotation around
any two orthogonal axes produces an effective rotation around the
third axis.  I'm not going to do the math, but it would not surprise
me to find that:

R_y(10)R_x(20)R_z(30) = R_x(20.3)R_y(9.39)R_z(33.4)

							--Mike