[vtkusers] How do I make a VTK Binary Install on OSX ???

Marcel Prastawa prastawa at cs.unc.edu
Mon Dec 31 19:02:10 EST 2001

It can be placed anywhere. However, if it's not at the standard library
locations (/usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, etc) you will need to add the path
to the environment variable DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH.
For example, you can add the following to your .tcshrc:
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /my/vtk/directory:/some/other/directory

Some consider this to be bad practice, as it can slow down dynamic
library lookups and potentially cause other problems. Personally, I
haven't had any problems with it.

A script? A better solution would be to package up VTK and have
something that Installer.app could process.I think that you could dig up
Apple's tech docs to figure out how to do this. I am not sure if this is
worth doing though.

Marcel