[vtkusers] Java threading problem

Hong, Lichan <hong@parc.xerox.com> hong at parc.xerox.com
Thu Dec 27 13:08:43 EST 2001

I am writing an application using Java 1.3.1 & VTK 3.2 on Windows 2K and
run into a threading problem. I wonder if someone out there can help me.

Basically, when a certain key is pressed, I start a thread from my vtkPanel.
This thread updates a portion of my 3D scene (for example, rotating my 3D
objects by a certain degree), and then calls Render() of my vtkPanel. When
the key is released, the thread will terminate.

The problem is that the rendering that I request in the run() method of the
thread doesn't seem to be working at all. More specifically, while the thread
is running, I don't see the image being updated, although it should be. I wonder
why this is happening and whether there is some way to overcome this problem.

Any helps would be greatly appreciated.

Lichan