[vtkusers] Help: How to Clip a Grid With Respect to TIN?...

Terence Lim tlim at mda.ca
Fri Dec 21 14:56:26 EST 2001

Hi everyone,

I would like clip away regions on a grid using a TIN as a reference.  If a
point on the grid  lies outside the TIN then I would like to clip this point
away. If a point on the grid lies inside the TIn i i would like to retain
it. Both the grid and the TIn are polydata.  How do I do this?

I have read several messages regarding this matter but I am still lost.

Can I use ImplicitDataSet & vtkClipPolyData ?

My simplified experimental code looks something like this:

vtkImplicitDataSet *ids =vtkImplicitDataSet::New();
ids->SetInput(aTin);		//where aTin is a TIN mesh (contains scalar values)

vtkClipPolyData *clipper = vtkClipPolyData::New();
clipper->SetInput(aGrid); 	//where aGrid the output from
StructuredPointsGeometryFilter
clipper->SetClipFunction(ids)
clipper->SetValue(..);
clipper->Update();