[vtkusers] Registration Toolkit

Asad A. Abu-Tarif tarifa at rpi.edu
Fri Dec 21 08:58:36 EST 2001

Hi All,
It is my pleasure to announce the Beta version of RegMagicTK, a registration
toolkit that heavily uses vtk. It is open source and quasi-cross platform
(tested only on NT with VC++ and Linux). The main home page
for the toolkit is http://asad.ods.org/RegMagicTKDoc/

Here are some notes:
1) About 20 registration algorithms from the toolkit were tested on
a CT-to-MRIT1 registration and can be found in the report:
http://asad.ods.org/Downloads/Registration_ComparativeStudy.pdf
A much shorter version (with more careful writing) was submitted to
ICPR2002.
It hasn't been refereed yet. No promises :-). email me for an electronic
version of that submitted paper.
2) The toolkit uses vtk3.2 with a couple of minor modifications and CMake
for build control. Hopefully, future versions will support vtk4.0.
3) All the algorithms implemented so far are 3D. 2D and higher order
algorithms will be implemented in the future.
4) The toolkit does NOT use smart pointers or any object factories. Hence,
memory management is more or less left for the programmer. This is
a terrible thing, I know. However, I am determined to change that sometime
in the future. The main reasons behind this are my sloppiness and time
limitations. After all, I've been developing this and working to support
myself at the same time.
5) If enough volunteers show up and the majority believe that it is better
to just port the algorithms in RegMagicTK to ITK then I'll be happy to
help coordinate the effort for doing that and eventually get red of
RegMagicTK. I simply don't have enough time to do that on my own. I've
been wanting to dig deep in ITK but never had the time to do more than
scratch the surface.

The toolkit web site (http://asad.ods.org/RegMagicTKDoc/) contains more
information, the doxygen documentation, and directions for downloading the
toolkit. Please email me for any questions.

Regards,
Asad Abu-Tarif

 /                        Asad A. Abu-Tarif
\
|   Computer Engineering.

 |   PhD Candidate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI).|
|   http://asad.ods.org/Professional/                                     |