[vtkusers] RenderWindow->SaveImageAsPPM Functionality, and 3.x->4.0 hints

John Washbourne jwashbourne at corelab.com
Thu Dec 20 09:15:28 EST 2001

Howdy,

This is basically a 3.2->4.0 newbie post, as I finally broke
down and am spending yesterday afternoon getting 4.0 working on
my sparc-solaris 8. One issue was quirks of Sun's implementation
of templates.

Are there any 3.x->4.0 migration hints and I just didnt look
hard enough? A couple quick pointers (like changing vtkScalars
and vtkNormals to vtkDataArray) would be timesavers.

On to my question: I recompiled some code under 4.0 and
discovered that the save image functionality in RenderWindow is
gone. I tried a search on the archive, and the question has been
asked before, but mostly gets 3.x answers
(vtkRenderWindow->SaveImageAsPPM()). I see a method of several
steps involving vtkWindowToImageFilter and vtkImageWriter. Is
this the preferred method? Could someone please post a snippet
of the new way to accomplish this?

Thanks in advance.

John Washbourne