vtkLocal in 15 Easy Steps (was RE: [vtkusers] VTK 4.0 Local?)

Volpe, Christopher R (CRD) volpecr at crd.ge.com
Wed Dec 19 12:11:42 EST 2001

> At 12/19/2001 09:48 AM, Volpe, Christopher R (CRD) wrote:
> >Well, it's been suggested before, but the kitware folks say
> it leads to
> >problems where, if the
> >directory's recognized by CVS, people will inadvertently
> check in their
> >own local files.
>
> Which is the same situation with your approach:
>
> >2) Add the following to vtkCMakeOptions.cmake:
> >3) Add the following to vtkToolkits.h.in:
> >4) Add the following to Wrapping/vtktcl.c:
> >6) Add the following to Wrapping/Tcl/tkAppInit.cxx.in:
> >7) Add the following to Wrapping/Tcl/vtktcl.c:
> >8) Add the following to Wrapping/Tcl/vtk/vtk.tcl
> >12) Add the following to Wrapping/Tcl/MakePackages.tcl
>
> You are modifying here 7 CVS files.

Agreed. Which is why I disagree with the premise that not providing a dummy local project provides
any safety benefit for the repository. But it's not my decision to make. I think it makes much more
sense to provide a dummy local project for people, and make the local directory in the repository
unwritable.

> Two problems:
>
> - as reported before, you advise to modify CVS files, and it could be
> dangerous, since people could commit these files to the main VTK CVS.

Agreed.

> - your approach will work for you. But what if your team
> share the same VTK
> build dir and some other people want to build their very own
> local stuff ?

We don't share source trees here. If you do, you have the same problem you'd
have if each team member added his own not-yet-fully-developed classes to, say, vtkCommon.

> You will end up all modifying the main VTK source files, thus
> potentially
> mixing your own local classes/settings, etc.
>
> => Today, I will create a full-fledged example (and post it
> to the CVS) on
> how to build a local directory with your own classes, using
> whatever VTK
> build dir, and without modifying any of the VTK files.

Whatever works, as long as I can do all my local stuff in the same vtk.dsw workspace. I want all the
browse information available when I'm working with my local classes. I also like being able to simply
do "package require vtk" and have everything there, though an additional "package require MyLocal" is
no big deal.

-Chris