[vtkusers] reliability of vtkStreamLine

Christian Poecher poecher at icom-consulting.de
Mon Dec 17 07:12:25 EST 2001

Yes, I had the same problem. When selecting specific starting-points for
the streamline in my RectilinearGrid, vtk allocated memory up to 1GB and
terminated with an error. Choosing an order 4 Runge-Kutta did not help
much, although the "bad" strarting-points changed. The only way to get
around this behavior was to use SetIntegrationStepLength 0.00001, which
had the trade-off that I had to wait about 3 minutes for a single
streamline. I tried it on vtk 3.1.2 and 3.2.

As far as I know Runge-Kutta does not guarantee convergence. Maybe that
is why it does not stop computing, but to be sure someone has to step
though the Runge-Kutta source code.

chris

Christian Poecher                      mailto:poecher at icom-consulting.de
ICOM GmbH   					Phone: +49 241 9367-1554
Schloss-Rahe-Str. 15, 52072 Aachen, Germany     Fax  : +49 241 9367-1589