[vtkusers] Patented algorithms question

Steve Hurst shurst at wencor.com
Wed Dec 12 00:45:41 EST 2001

Hi,

I'm new to VTK, just bought the user's guide/text book and installed the
windows binaries on my machine.  Some of the examples that come on the CD
don't work (ones that use vtkDecimate, vtkMarchingCubes, etc) apparently
because the binaries do not install the classes that use patented
algorithms?  Is there any way to use them without buying VC++ and
compiling with the --with-patented option?

On a side note, it is clear from the users guide that the algoritms may
not be used (without permission) in a commercial product, but what about
data processed and/or produced with the patented algoritms?

Thanks in advance, first of many questions to the list I suspect!

Steve