[vtkusers] Access violations in MFC sample

João Filipe de Castro Ferreira jfilipe at isr.uc.pt
Fri Dec 7 06:31:46 EST 2001

Greetings

My name is João Filipe and I am an Msc student from the University of
Coimbra, Portugal. My current research work is the development of a handheld
3D scanner. Obviously, my needs for 3D surface reconstruction algorithms are
substancial and the research institute to which I am binded has come across
VTK, which in turn I have found out implements Hugues Hoppe's "Surface
Reconstruction from Unorganized Points" algorithm which, for me, was like
finding "heaven on earth".

Cutting a long story short, three issues have surfaced since I started
experimenting with VTK, which I would like to ask you for help on:

- Does anybody know if, as I suspect, the VTK filter that implements surface
reconstruction, in fact, only implement the 1st phase of Hugues Hoppe's
algorithm? Or does it implement more of the 3 steps? More specifically, what
are the differences between both algorithms, if any?

- ****Most important****: I have been messing around with the MFC sample
that comes with the VC++ install of VTK. I have noticed that the debug
version, at least, produces dozens of access violation exceptions on the
OnCreate override of the vtkMFCRenderView class. More specifically, on the
"this->RenderWindow->WindowInitialize();" instruction. What is happening?
Please help!!!

- Still on the MFC sample subject, the README.TXT file mentions getting
VTKMFC objects from the Visual C++ gallery's components... What VTKMFC
objects? None appear to be there (or anywhere, as a matter of fact)...

Thanking you in advance,

JFC