[vtkusers] Newbie question: VTK/TCL/Linux

Dr.Matthew Kuhn kuhn at egr.up.edu
Wed Dec 5 17:08:21 EST 2001

I am a new VTK user, running Linux.  I downloaded and compiled the 3.2
sources.  I am able to run the Cone.tcl example while in the
"graphics/examplesTcl" directory:

       vtk Cone.tcl

No problem.  Even this simple example is beautiful!

Here's the problem.  I would like to run VTK interactively inside of TCL.
(Isn't this possible?)  I have tried the following commands inside of a TK
"wish" shell:

   catch {load vtktcl}
   if { [catch {set VTK_TCL $env(VTK_TCL)}] != 0}   ... same line ...
      { set VTK_TCL "/usr/share/vtk/vtk3.2/examplesTcl" }
   if { [catch {set VTK_DATA $env(VTK_DATA)}] != 0} ... same line ...
      { set VTK_DATA "/usr/share/vtk/vtkdata" }
   source $VTK_TCL/vtkInt.tcl

No problem.

Then the command:

   vtkRenderer ren1

I get the error:  invalid command name "vtkRenderer"

What's wrong here?  What am I missing?  I have placed links to all (I
think?) of the VTK libraries inside a personal directory and included that
directory in the $LD_LIBRARY_PATH of my .cshrc file.

Thanks in advance!!

Matthew Kuhn

*  Matthew R. Kuhn    phone (503) 943-7361  fax (503) 943-7316  *
*  Department of Civil and Env. Engineering                     *
*  University of Portland                                       *
*  5000 N. Willamette Blvd.                                     *
*  Portland, Oregon  97203     kuhn at up.edu                      *