[vtkusers] VTK as loadable tcl-package ?

Kevin Wright krw at viz-solutions.com
Thu Aug 30 12:18:41 EDT 2001

> I'm using VTK on Linux. I couldn't figure out, how to compile vtk to
> have a loadable tcl-extension.
>
> I tried ./configure --enable-shared, but I haven't found the expexted
> vtkTcl.so (or the like)

First off, to build Tcl support you need to configure --with-tcl and --with-tkwidget (if you
want to have the embeddable render window widget).  If I recall correctly, even if you use
--with-shared, it still builds the static vtk executable instead of vtktcl.so by default, but
the makefile has all the right targets set up to build the shared library, just go to the Tcl
directory and look in the makefile for the right target.  I believe it's vtktcl.

Kevin.