[vtkusers] write to BMP

D.M.P.Davies dmpd at mcmail.com
Fri Aug 24 14:12:10 EDT 2001

Victor,

I manage  to generate simple animated gifs by generating ppm's from a  tcl/tk wraparound  by
calling:

proc   Gen_PPM {name} {
puts "NAME=$name.ppm"
[Renderer(.backdrop.drawing) GetRenderWindow] Render
[Renderer(.backdrop.drawing) GetRenderWindow] SetFileName $name.ppm
[Renderer(.backdrop.drawing) GetRenderWindow] SaveImageAsPPM
}

where .backdrop.drawing is the vtkTkRenderWidget.

I then , from the set of ppm's , use a ppm2gifanim  executable which I got free from the net.
[Note: I'm in windows]

Further:

I use gifsicle (free from the net)  behind a tcl/tk editor ( which I wrote) to merge/delete/add
frames and adjust speens and transparent backrounds.

This works quite well for small animations. Further tk widgets and other vtkTkRenderWidgets can
be embedded in .backdrop.drawing.

Let me know if you want more information.

Dave Davies