[vtkusers] experience with VTK and PC?

Jeff Layton laytonjb at bellsouth.net
Fri Aug 17 16:01:37 EDT 2001

Michael,

   I haven't run VTK for a while (getting ready to "come back to
the fold"). However, at work I've got a few Linux PCs with ATI
Radeon Cards (dual PIII/850 with 2 Gigs of memory). We also
run a commercial OpenGL accelerated X server from X Inside
Graphics (XIG).
   We compared a couple of applications on these boxes to our
Octane2 with V6 graphics. The PCs were about the same speed
from a qualitative point of view. We've been very happy with
them.
   Oh. We're running the V2.0 beta of the OpenGL accelerated X server
from XIG. It's not expensive - $89. According to XIG, the Radeon
is faster than the Geforce2 stuff (can't tell you if it's true since we
don't have any of those cards). I think they will also be coming out
with a X server for the new Radeon 7500 and 8500 cards (don't
know about the time frame though).

Good Luck!

Jeff Layton