[vtkusers] Question about text and vtk

Renny Werner lcwerner at uswest.net
Wed Aug 15 12:17:44 EDT 2001

My question is if there is a way to scale the size of the text that you
display rather than just by the location of the actor in the rendering
window.

I am currently using vtk to render buildings in 3D and have been placing an
axis to depict compass directions.  I draw an axis and place N,S,E,W at the
end of them so when I rotate/zoom around I can still keep my bearings as to
what direction I am looking from.  Now the text displays fine and by using
vtkFollower as an actor for them, they are always facing the camera and all
that works fine.

The problem is when I zoom in, the text gets larger until it has a tendency
to restrict ones viewing of the building.  So, is there a way that I can set
the size of the text so that as I zoom in, it remains the same size on the
screen.  I am currently using vtkVectorText and have tried using
vtkTextSource as well.

In an ideal world, when I zoom in from the north side of the building, the
"N" would stay in the foreground and remain the same size.

Is there any way to do this?  I have done a cursory look at the source for
vtkVectorText and don't see anything that implies this is possible, hence
the reason for this email.  Maybe some of you vtk gurus have a neat little
trick up your sleeve that you can enlighten me with.

Sorry if this is hard to follow, my writing skills have really deteriorated
since the advent of email.

Thanks in advance...

Lawrence "Renny" Werner

PS -> Oh, and I am using vtk with C++, not tcl or python.  This brings up
another question.  I can't seem to get that wish82 application to work on
any of the tcl samples.  When I try and read in the source I get a whole
series of errors like "unable to find/include file vtkInt.tcl" or "invalid
comman name "vtkRenderer"" or any of the vtk objects.  What am I doing
wrong?  Sorry to throw this question in at the last minute... *grin*