[vtkusers] applet on web

John Shalf jshalf at lbl.gov
Wed Aug 15 01:42:20 EDT 2001

Can't do that with JNI (Java Native Interface).  vtk.jar
simply contains wrappers that allow you to call the VTK*.so
files on your machine using the Java JNI.  However, the
sandbox that applets run in doesn't allow you to access
these shared libraries on the remote machine.  You can relax
the Java security/sandbox requirements by creating a signed
Java application with a different security policy, but that
would require the users download the VTK*.so libraries as
well as a lot of mucking with your client side JVM (not
exactly a smooth or scalable process).

You might take a look at Randy Heiland's work on VisBench
	http://visbench.ncsa.uiuc.edu/
	http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/People/heiland/
He's right there a couple of buildings away from you.
Randy's app gets around the sticky issue of the fact that
VTK is not 100% pure Java by executing the core VTK routines
on the server side using remote methods.  The Java/jpython
front-end GUI can potentially run in your browser and talks
to the VTK back-end on the server side through a CORBA
interface.

-john