[vtkusers] About OffScreen Question ^_^

David Homiak dhomiak at xcaliber.com
Thu Aug 9 11:06:43 EDT 2001

Kevin,
	See http://infinite-entropy.lbl.gov/VTK/vtkOffScreen/ for a
vtkOpenGLOffscreenRenderWindow class. From there description:
	"Use in place of a vtkRenderWindow to draw an offscreen image. This
is specifically for Unix/OpenGL/X11 systems. There is already a
vtkWin32OffscreenRenderWindow in the contrib directory of VTK to cover
Windows systems. For SGI systems, it will use pbuffers for hardware
accelerated offscreen rendering. For all other architectures, it will use
GLX pixmaps which tend to be software-rendering (except for
hardware-accelerated Mesa)."
	More generally for X11 on UNIX, there is also Xvfb, the X virtual
frame buffer. Do a Google search on it and also check out
http://starbase.neosoft.com/~claird/comp.windows.x/Xvfb.html. I have used
Xvfb in the past to do X processing on headless Sun servers lacking graphics
cards.

Dave Homiak
dhomiak at xcaliber.com
Results! Why, man, I have gotten a lot of results. I know several thousand
things that won't work.    --   Thomas Edison