[vtkusers] Documented examples and Installation on RedHat 7.0

John Wilson jpw at creare.com
Mon Apr 30 12:51:56 EDT 2001

A couple questions from a VTK newbie:

1. There are an amazing number of examples included with the VTK package,
but for a newbie the lack of documentation in these examples makes them at
times difficult to use.  Also, the VTK class documentation itself can be
rather brief in its descriptions.  Does anyone know of other sources of
documentation and (fully documented) simple examples that may help?
Specifically, I am developing using Tcl.

2. I need to install VTK on a RedHat 7.0 system; I tried using the RPMs
found on the CD provided with "The VTK User's Guide" and ran into a problem
when installing the Tcl, Java, and Python packages.  Specifically, my
command was:

rpm -ivh vtk-tcl-3.2-3.i386.rpm

and I got the following error:

error: failed dependencies:
   libvga.so.1 is needed by vtk-tcl-3.2-3

So this VGA library must not be on my system.  Has anyone else experienced
this and know the solution?

Many thanks for the help -

John