[vtkusers] VTK performance with GeForce2 (RedHat 7.1 with NVidia drivers)

Charl P. Botha c.p.botha at its.tudelft.nl
Mon Apr 30 11:49:46 EDT 2001

On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:18:36AM -0400, Dave Reed wrote:
> [...]

The NVidia drivers play it safe when it comes to AGP.  When the NV built-in
AGP support detects a motherboard chipset which it doesn't trust all that
much, it disables AGP.  Alternatively, you could try compiling kernel
AGPGART (assuming that it supports your chipset) and try to have the drivers
use this.  This is all documented in the nvidia packages (also how to get
the drivers to use the built-in agp or kernel agpgart).

> Can anyone confirm that I should get a more significant improvement
> with the GeForce2 card?  And also, if anyone has any suggestions for

I would recommend testing your setup with some benchmark software, like
"viewperf", and compare your results with the numerous published ones. FWIW,
I get very good VTK rendering performance with a GeForce2 GTS at work and a
GeForce2 MX at home, but that's all terribly subjective.

> problem and solved it. I'm wondering if the NVidia's kernel driver
> isn't set up for the changes in the Linux 2.4 kernel. I found some
> old messages that it wasn't setup for the 2.3.x development kernel but
> they would have a fix so I would think it would be ready by now.

You should really make a habit of reading documentation.  NVidia 0.9.769
supports being built and used on a 2.4.x system, although there are some
issues with this combination in SMP setups.

Regards,

--
charl p. botha      | computer graphics and cad/cam
http://cpbotha.net/ | http://www.cg.its.tudelft.nl/