[vtkusers] Voronoi diagram ?

Chris Myers myers at tc.cornell.edu
Wed Sep 13 15:08:11 EDT 2000

Regarding Voronoi diagrams...

I've been working on something that is related, but does not
live entirely within VTK.  I am interested in generating tesselations
to model polycrystals, and Voronoi tesselation is a common method for
doing so.  I have used qhull from the Geometry Center at Minnesota to
generate Voronoi tesselations, and then I export those models into
VTK for visualization and other operations (e.g., cutting).

VTK is useful in some ways for this, but its lack of support for
arbitrary polyhedral cells makes the representation and manipulation
of Voronoi diagrams somewhat clumsy.  I have had to resort to modeling
the polygonal interfaces between Voronoi cells (as a VTKPolyData object)
and then attach to those polygonal interfaces information about which
Voronoi cells each interface separates.  Reconstructing, for example,
an exposed surface after a cutting operation requires some stitching
of data back together because the Voronoi cells themselves are not
represented explicitly.  (Fortunately, Python is a wonderful environment
for performing such surgery.)

So it would be very useful if VTK were extended to include polyhedral
domains (so that one could build unstructured grids, for example, out
of such domains).  Does anyone have any plans or desire to extend
VTK in such a way?

Chris

Chris Myers
Cornell Theory Center
636 Rhodes Hall              email: myers at tc.cornell.edu
Cornell University           phone: (607) 255-5894 / fax: (607) 254-8888
Ithaca, NY 14853             http://www.tc.cornell.edu/~myers