[vtkusers] trying to use vtk with java

Frederic Kleinermann F.Kleinermann at pgr.salford.ac.uk
Mon Sep 11 13:53:22 EDT 2000

Hi,

I am trying to use vtk with java. So far, I cannot make a simple example
using VTK working with java. I have managed to compile the library vtk
under java. I have managed to compile vtkPanel.java. Now I have tried to
run a simple example :

import vtk.*;

public class TestVTK {

      public static void main ( String args[] )
       {

           vtkPanel panel = new vtkPanel();

           vtkConeSource cone=new vtkConeSource();
           cone.SetResolution(8);
           vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper=new vtkPolyDataMapper();
           coneMapper.SetInput(cone.GetOutput());
           vtkActor coneActor=new vtkActor();
           coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);
           panel.setActor(coneActor);

        }
}

When I type the command : java TestVTK , it complains saying :

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NullPointerException:
	at vtkPanel.getWindowID(vtkPanel.java:59)
	at vtkPanel.getWindowInfo(vtkPanel.java:83)
	at vtkPanel.Render(vtkPanel.java:115)
	at vtkPanel.setActor(vtkPanel.java:32)
	at TestVTK.main(TestVTK.java:18)

it seems that the problem comes from the following three lines in
vtkPanel.java :

  Win32DrawingSurface wds =
  (Win32DrawingSurface)surfaceInfo.getSurface();
  int hWnd = wds.getHWnd();

I have also tried to run it from an applet like this :

import vtk.*;
import java.applet.Applet;
import java.awt.Graphics;

public class TestVTK extends Applet{

      public static void main ( String args[] )
       {

           vtkPanel panel = new vtkPanel();

           vtkConeSource cone=new vtkConeSource();
           cone.SetResolution(8);
           vtkPolyDataMapper coneMapper=new vtkPolyDataMapper();
           coneMapper.SetInput(cone.GetOutput());
           vtkActor coneActor=new vtkActor();
           coneActor.SetMapper(coneMapper);
           panel.setActor(coneActor);

        }
}

using the command

apletviewer TestVTK

The problem is that the appletviewer appears. But there is no cone which
is rendered.

I wonder if someone had a similar problem. Since I am not very
experienced with java, I will be very interested to know how to solve
that problem.

Thanks.