[vtkusers] Design question (dataset relationship)

Gerald Dalley dalleyg at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu
Thu Sep 7 10:35:23 EDT 2000

For some range image registration work I've been doing, yes, I've done that.
I tried using some of the built-in locators, but found one of the
fundamental requirements of the base classes to be too stringent: the search
point must be inside the bounding box of the dataset being searched.  The
vtkPointLocator class code can be hacked to remove this restriction, but I
stopped halfway through.  I ended up partially implementing a KD-tree based
locator class (it only searches for the 1 closest point in a particular data
set), though the concepts can be extended to support the other locator
methods.

The best place I could come up with for storing this data was in the field
data.  In the point data, I had fields such as "ClosestPoint.Branch"
(indicates Bi) and "ClosestPoint.ID" (ID of the closest point within Bi).
For my particular application, I also stored additional information such as
the distance between the point pairs, "ClosestPoint.Distance".

--Gerald Dalley
  dalleyg at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu