[vtkusers] vtk and python - some questions.

Jonathan M. Gilligan jonathan.gilligan at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Oct 24 12:14:55 EDT 2000

At 10:15 AM 10/24/2000, Prabhu Ramachandran wrote:
>         I believe that at one time SWIG (www.swig.org) was used to
>generate the wrappings.  What were the problems with swig and why is
>it not used any more?

SWIG was never used. The following exchange between myself and Jody Winston
may be instructive:

At 2:47 PM 06/11/1998, Jody Winston wrote:

     Jonathan> On a related topic, would it be worth considering moving
     Jonathan> the wrapper generation over to SWIG? This might help
     Jonathan> with maintenance since SWIG seems capable of taking a
     Jonathan> single interface spec. and generating wrappers for many
     Jonathan> scripting languages directly from that.

Jody> We do not want to use SWIG in it's present state.  I tried to use SWIG
Jody> and vtk 2.0 to interface with python.  I gave up and started to use
Jody> the code generation that comes with vtk since SWIG does not support
Jody> overloaded methods.

Regards,
Jonathan