[vtkusers] VTK + CORBA

Randy Heiland heiland at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Tue Oct 24 07:21:58 EDT 2000

On Oct 24, 12:58pm, Miguel Angel Martin Fernandez wrote:
> Subject: [vtkusers] VTK + CORBA
> Hello dear users,
>
> 	has anybody tried using VTK with CORBA?

Yes, in an indirect fashion.  As part of our ongoing VisBench project
(http://vr.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VisBench/), we're using the open source TAO ORB
(http://www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html, http://theaceorb.com/) and have
created a VTK-server (with an embedded Python interpreter - that's the
"indirect" part).  So you communicate to the server via Python/VTK commands.
 We've written a Java Swing client/GUI that displays JPEG images from the
server and are in the process of writing other clients that deal with geometry.

Although it's rather large, we've been quite happy with TAO... and VTK of
course!  I'd certainly like to hear of anyone else's experiences w/ VTK+CORBA.

--Randy