[vtkusers] Fast implicit surface from curves

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Thu Oct 12 09:27:03 EDT 2000

Hi Elie -

At 01:43 PM 10/12/00 +0100, Elie Jamaa wrote:
>Hello vtk users,
>
>I'm trying to generate a meta-mesh from a curve like in the hello.tcl
>example. Unfortunately, I find the example too slow. Is there any
>fater/optimized way of doing this ? Basically, I'm writing a plugin for
>a 3D software where I'd like the user to move the CVs of a nurbs curve
>and generate a meta-mesh around this curve in real-time. So that's where
>I really need the fastest algo.
>
>Any help or pointer would be very much appreciated.
>
>e.

The algorithm could be made probably 1-2 orders of magnitude faster by
coding it specifically for curves. If you'd like to take a crack at it,
basically
what you have to do is compute a distance value surrounding the curve
in a volume, then isosurface the distance value.

Will

---
William J. Schroeder
Kitware, Inc.
VTK-Based Visualization Solutions and Support
will.schroeder at kitware.com
1-518-371-3971 x102