[vtkusers] New vtk debs based on CVS source: some comments.

Prabhu Ramachandran prabhu at aero.iitm.ernet.in
Thu Nov 23 16:18:24 EST 2000

hi,

    David> Just a quick note: I just changed vtk/python/Makefile.in so
    David> that it builds and installs a 'vtkpython.pth' file to allow
    David> python to find (prefix)/lib/vtk/python without the user
    David> having to set the PYTHONPATH environment variable.  If you
    David> could have the debs install this file that would be great.
    David> The corresponding .spec file line for the file is

    David> %files python %attr(644, root, root) %(python -c "import
    David> sys, os; print
    David> os.path.join(sys.prefix,'lib','python'+sys.version[0:3],'site-packages','vtkpython.pth')")

    David> (I don't know anything about debs, though).

Oh yeah, I did something like this for the debs way back in May. :)
All the debs install painlessly and there is documentation that
seamlessly integrates with dwww (debian's online help system).  The
documentation package only asks a few questions before running doxytag
(which takes forever :().

Actually for the python bindings all I have is the foll. (debian
python looks here for python modules)

in /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/

<snip>
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root         1511 Nov 23 22:31 vtk/
-rw-r--r--    1 root     root            4 Nov 22 18:50 vtk.pth
<snip>

$ cat /usr/lib/python1.5/site-packages/vtk.pth
vtk
$

And the stuff in the site-packages/vtk dir is almost all of the stuff
in vtk_root_dir/python/ excepting the vtkTk* which goes into /usr/lib.
Works perfectly vtkTkRenderWidget and all.  Besides, I compile the
stuff in the vtk directory to obtain *.pyo and *.pyc files as well! :)

    David> Thanks.  After a bit of thought, I decided to make 'dir' on
    David> the objects to recurse to the subclasses
    David> (dir(obj.__class__) works the way the old 'dir' did).

Sorry, I dont get you.  The old bindings did not recurse through so do
you mean you changed it after 20th Nov. 2000 back to a state where it
actually does not recurse - which is how the old bindings worked??

    David> The only other change I have planned for the python
    David> wrappers is better __doc__ strings, both for the methods
    David> and the classes.  Mainly, the method .__doc__s should
    David> reflect python calling conventions instead of C++,
<snip>

how about the typedef thing Sebastien and you suggested?  Shouldn't it
make your life easier?

prabhu