[vtkusers] Can anyone provide python vtkTkRenderWidget.dll and vtkTkImageWindowWidget.dll ?

David Gobbi dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
Sun Nov 19 21:40:20 EST 2000

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Ron Dilsavor wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a new vtk user and am getting the following error on a PC:
> TclError: couldn't load file "vtkTkImageWindowWidget": invalid argument
>
> I searched the mail list archives and found an applicable exchange that I
> provide below for reference.
> Can anyone provide the python vtkTkRenderWidget.dll and
> vtkTkImageWindowWidget.dll libraries?
> I would try to follow the directions below to create them but I don't have
> cl.exe or link.exe on my machine
>
> Thanks,
> Ron

Hi Ron,

Unfortunately, the vtkTkRenderWidget.dll and vtkTkImageWindowWidget.dll
have to be built against a specific version of VTK, and only the
vtkTkRenderWidget.dll is provided with the binary version of VTK
(Kitware controls which components go into the binaries).
What you can do in your code is use vtkRenderer and
vtkRenderWindow in place of vtkImager and vtkImageWindow - the
only difference is that you will have to manually set the size of
the vtkRenderWindow, whereas a vtkImageWindow will automatically
set itself to the size of the image.

The reason that these dlls are not built as part of the PCMAKER
build process is that python 1.5.2 is not compatible with tcl/tk
versions newer than 8.0.5 (and VTK comes with tcl/tk 8.2).  This
will probably be fixed in the future (the likelihood of it being
fixed goes up as more people complain about it -- it's not an
easy thing to fix or it would be done already).

Always good to hear about people using python with VTK!

 - David

  David Gobbi, MSc                    dgobbi at irus.rri.on.ca
  Advanced Imaging Research Group