[vtkusers] problems installing vtk

Hylas Hylasii at hotmail.com
Fri Nov 17 15:46:19 EST 2000

Hello,
I hope someone will be able to advise me regarding a problem I have
installing vtk.
I have just downloaded vtk3.1
  I have followed the installation instructions in vtk README.html for
PC
  installation as far as step 2 (the pcmaker program finished running
  instantaneously, {400MHz Pentium II} is this likely?)
  Step 3 is somewhat confusing. I have Borland C++ 4.5. When I opened
the
  folder (in a DOS Box)
  ....\vtk31\vtkbin\vtkdll\
  I found a single file called makefile (no extension), 136kb
  The instruction in step 3 says to:
   Then run "nmake" (Microsft compiler) or "" (Borland compiler).
  How do I run "" ?
  I tried typing "" at the DOS prompt, I tried typing  makefile  at the
  dos prompt, I tried typing "makefile" at the DOS prompt, none of which

  worked. I then tried loading the file   makefile  into Turbo C++ (in
  Windows) but the compile function is greyed out.
  If anyone has any suggestions I would be happy to receive them.

  Ludvik Wachowski

  ludvik at euronet.nl