[vtkusers] rendering offscreen

alext at win.tue.nl alext at win.tue.nl
Mon Nov 6 11:13:09 EST 2000

  Hi all,

  I've got a simple question: which are the mechanisms VTK offers to render
the 'output' of a vtkRenderer into something offscreen ? Can you use
vtkRenderers with anything but an on-screen vtkRenderWindow ? What I need is
to build VTK pipelines that render their output into something like an
image, not an X or Windows-based window-manager window. The way the image is
stored is not very important, since I will convert it anyway to my
application-dependent data. However, the setup of my application forbids
opening any sort of windows on the screen - so I have to ask vtkRenderer to
produce its output offscreen somehow. The rest of the VTK pipeline should
stay unchanged. I'm using vtk 3.1, if this matters.

  Thanks for any suggestions on this,

  Alex Telea

 Dr. Alexandru C. Telea      | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven

 E-mail   : alext at win.tue.nl | Dept. of Mathematics and
 Office   :  HG 7.71         | Computer Science
 Tel.     : +31 40 247 2749  | PO Box 513
 Secretary: +31 40 247 4416  | 5600 MB Eindhoven
 Fax      : +31 40 246 8508  | The Netherlands

 URL      : http://www.win.tue.nl/math/an/alext