vtk2.3 and Mesa 3.1 on sg irix6.5

Hugo Korwaser hugo.korwaser at dspace.co.uk
Sun May 28 08:55:01 EDT 2000

Hi,
I realise that these are not the latest versions, especially vtk, but
hopefully someone may be able to help or offer advice.

I have vtk 2.3 working on an sg running irix 6.5 using the 7.3
compilers, the application also uses tcl/tk 8.0.4. Everything seems to
work, as expected, when run as a native opengl application on the sg's
screen and even across the network. For example model is displayed and
user can rotate the model using the mouse.
If I recompile vtk to have the --with-mesa and try the application it is
close to unuseable. This is whether the application is run on the main
screen or through an XTerm. I have tried setting the Mesa environment
variable MESA_BACK_BUFFER to p with no effect.
Are there any special incantations for using Mesa on an SG. I have
seperate directories for the libraries and run the application through a
seperate scripts which set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the relevant
directory.
>From what is happening on the screen I can only guess that
double-buffering is not being enabled.

For vtk 2.3 is it necessary to have seperate libraries for vtk with
opengl and vtk with mesa as there arenot any special mesa related
classes as at vtk 3.1

Does any one understand the effect of different visual classes on the
combinations of vtk+opengl and vtk+mesa.

In hope of any insights

Hugo
"info vtkusers" to the same address.