Reading Unstructured Grid File

Will Schroeder will.schroeder at kitware.com
Tue May 23 08:35:12 EDT 2000

Hi Thomas -

There are no inherent memory limits. I've successfully read grids of 10's of millions of cells.

If you are using vtkUnstructuredGridWriter to write binary files, an error crept into
the code that causes seg faults when reading binary vtk unstructured grid files. This
was fixed in the last couple of weeks, and is available in the nightly release.

However, this probably isn't the problem. More likely the "CELLS" keyword, and the data
associated with it (CELLS n size) is wrong (n being number of cells, size being the size of
the connectivity array), or the connectivity array does not include the count plus connectivity.

Will