VRML changing in time(?)

pahsieh at usgs.gov pahsieh at usgs.gov
Thu May 18 12:14:11 EDT 2000

> help, i dont even know what its called what i would like to do. I have
data
> on 3d objects though time, and so i can create a 3d rendered scene at
each
> time point. So, what i would like to do is to create a 'movie' of this,
with
> the ability to stop at undetermined time points, and then interact with
the
> image at that time (ie zoom, pan rotate, the usual things); and then
> continue on thru time. Does vtk support this, or do i creat a vrml file
at
> each time and use some sort of vrml player? Any info, hints ideas greatly
> welcomed.
Mark:

You can create a simple animation by programming a loop in which
you change the actors (position, color, dataset, whatever) and
then call Render() for each time point. See the example Hanoi.cxx.
The maximum animation speed is limited by how fast you machine can
create each frame. If you want to be able to stop in the middle of
animation, then you probably have to run this animation loop in
a separate thread that can be interrupted. In VC++/Win32, this is
fairly straightforward, but I don't know how this is done for other
platforms/languages. I can post some sample codes for VC++ if you
are interested.

Paul

"info vtkusers" to the same address.