Complaint -> vtk3.1 NR vtkCamera: If it ain't broke, then please don't fix it.

Audrius Stundzia adv_biologic at hotmail.com
Tue May 16 14:25:23 EDT 2000

Hi vtker's

After updating the vtk nightly release from 15.Feb.2000 to
15.May.2000, the following warning now appears when I run my
code

Warning: In vtkCamera.cxx, line 772
vtkOpenGLCamera (0xf8c270): SetViewPlaneNormal:  This method is deprecated
the view plane normal is calculated automatically.

Thanks to the vtkCrew for taking the trouble to automatically
calculate the view plane normal for me. However, the view
plane normal calculated is NOT the one I want. I'd like to suggest
a "if it ain't broke, then don't fix it" approach to vtk
"improvements". Sure, calculate the view plane normal, for example,
if you feel a compelling need to do so, but leave the option of disagreeing
with you and setting it ourselves. This general flexability is (was ?) one
of the attractive aspects of vtk.

Unfortunately, there does not appear a new downloadable
release of the vtk Man Pages html that documents these changes.

How do I effectively get around this new feature? Any (time-saving)
insight would be most appreciated.

Despite these annoyances, I'm still a big fan.

Regards,

Audrius

"info vtkusers" to the same address.