Adding JPEG output image file support to VTK

kitware-vtk at kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be kitware-vtk at kulnet.kuleuven.ac.be
Sun May 14 05:28:02 EDT 2000

---  Forwarded by news2mail for "Joris Vanden Wyngaerd" <joris.vandenwyngaerd at esat.kuleuven.ac.be> ---

I once tried to add support not only for jpeg I/O but for all kinds of
formats by interfacing with ImageMagick. I concluded that vtk and
imagemagick are impossible to combine because of conflicting libraries
(iostream.h vs iostream (stl)). I do not expect that the image I/O
capabilities of Imagemagick will become available in vtk soon, so I would
like to have the possibility to interface them.

Could this be done with something like this ?
#ifdef VTK-USE_STL
#include <iostream>
#else
#include <iostream.h>

with this, a filter like vtkMagickReader (and writer) could be created (as
contrib maybe, not necessarily in the vtk core) wich could read a lot of
formats based on the file name extension.

Joris

"Will Schroeder" <will.schroeder at kitware.com> wrote in message
news:4.2.2.20000509101650.00bdea80 at pop.nycap.rr.com...
> Hi John-
>
> I've been away for a couple of days, sorry for the late response.
>
> Why don't you send me the diffs. I'll look into getting them into the
system. And thanks for the contribution.

> The work you've done raises some issues that we've been wrestling with.
> Namely, how do we include software that has dependencies on external
packages? Certainly your addition is extremely valuable and many people
would like to use it. On the other hand, since the contribution requires
additional external software, it ends up making VTK harder to compile and
test.  Do you (or anyone on this list) have any ideas on how to manage this
situation?