Rotation matrix from a vector?

Harris Scott R CIV AFRL/SNJM Scott.Harris at wpafb.af.mil
Mon May 15 11:32:49 EDT 2000

I'd like to be able to use vtkDiskSource (and vtkCylinder Source) with a vector that specifies the
orientation of the object. Does anyone have a simple recipe that takes a vector and then generates
a transformation matrix that will make a given axis (say x) parallel to the given vector?
I think I saw something like this in one of the graphics gems books, but I haven't had time to
go and look it up

I'm working on a project where I'd like to visualize a lot of cylinders and disks that are arranged
with given locations and orientations.

Thanks,
-Scott Harris
"info vtkusers" to the same address.