Generating a grid

jnorris at uiuc.edu jnorris at uiuc.edu
Thu May 11 15:03:41 EDT 2000

Hello,

In my visualization software, one of the techniques the user can use is to
generate a surface and/or surface grid of the data.  This is done with
vtkGeometryFilter.  The output of this filter is given to two different
mappers, one for the surface and one for the grid.  The reason is that the
surface and surface grid are independently controlled.  They can each have
their own colormap, or be a solid color (e.g. the surface is just blue, but
the grid uses a rainbow colormap).  The problem I'm having is that when both
the grid and the surface are shown simultaneously, the grid looks "dashed."
As far as I can tell, this happens because parts of the grid are determined
to be behind the surface, and are therefore hidden.

Right now I render the grid by setting the actor property to show a wireframe.
Increasing the line width helps sometimes, but more often than not it just
makes it uglier.  Is there a filter I could apply to the output of
vtkGeometryFilter to generate the edges of the polygons?  Then I could wrap
the resulting lines with vtkTubeFilter and solve my problem.  Is there a
better approach that I haven't thought of?

Thanks for any suggestions,
John
--
John Norris
Center for Simulation of Advanced Rockets
jnorris at uiuc.edu
http://www.uiuc.edu/ph/www/jnorris
"info vtkusers" to the same address.